A Housing Society Building, however sound it may be, needs regular maintenance to keep it in healthy condition.
However, awareness in this respect is lacking in the occupants, which is evident from the condition of buildings in Mumbai. Occupants who spend liberally for decoration of their premises do not show the same spirit when they are asked to contribute towards repairs and maintenance of their buildings. It is important to carry out timely maintenance works to prevent deterioration of the buildings.
- Get the building inspected by a qualified engineer after 10 years of its occupation and at an interval of 5 years thereafter for structural assessment and carry out the works suggested by him.
- Attend to all leakages promptly.
- Keep all sanitary pipes, water pipes and fittings in good condition by replacing the broken parts promptly.
- Regularly remove the vegetation as this may cause serious problem to the property
- Check terrace waterproofing before every monsoon and attend to repairs. Renewal of
waterproofinglayer, whenever necessary, should be undertaken to prevent leakage from terrace.
- Any cracks, plaster peeling off, exposed reinforcement, etc. should immediately be brought to the notice of the structural engineer.
- Apply two coats of waterproof cement paint for external face of the buildings at regular intervals.
- Cement paint every 3 years
- Acrylic paint.
- Preventive maintenance of lifts shall be done by giving preventive service contracts to the lift companies. Arrange operation of lifts by lift-man.
- Keep the water pump in working condition.
Yearlycontract for maintenance is advisable.
- Firefighting installation must be maintained through qualified agencies.
- Keep the terrace clean, especially during monsoon.
- DO NOT allow any unauthorized additions / alterations thereby weaking the existing structure.
- DO NOT allow any internal changes without consulting the Structural Engineer and Without obtaining prior approval of MCGM wherever necessary.
- DO NOT allow extension for toilets or lavatories over other rooms.
- DO NOT permit internal works such as replacement of flooring repairs to RCC, renovation of toilets or kitchen, etc. without consulting professionals in the field.
- DO NOT allow gardening in any manner unless specifically designed.
- Change of internal loading shall not be allowed.
- Subsequent addition of lofts shall not be permitted.